You read the title right. World’s 8th biggest killer is none other than the Hepatitis itself.
Here are 10 alarming facts you need to know in order to fight against the evil of Hepatitis and spread the awareness around you!
- Every 12th person in Pakistan is suffering from either Hepatitis B or C
2. Pakistan ranks 2nd highest in world prevalence for Hepatitis B & C
3. Hepatitis is the 8th biggest cause for deaths globally, every 30 seconds someone dies from Hepatitis in the Asia Pacific region, and the death rate from Hepatitis is 3 times more the HIV/ AIDS
4. Males conveniently neglect the common hazards of unclean shaving equipment, similar to the re-using of needles & syringes, unsafe barber shaving can also lead to Hepatitis transmission
5. Using anti-bacterial solutions and changing blades does not guarantee removal of Hepatitis germs, resulting in a single drop of contaminated blood causing infection
6. One of the key causes for Hepatitis infection is unsafe/ unscreened blood transfusion where the tiniest drop of contaminated blood can spread the disease.
7. Barbers, not knowing the real risks, re-use the same blades, razor, towel & brushes on multiple people. More importantly, the risk of blood borne transmission is amplified by the lack of relevant knowledge that barbers and their clients possess and this multiplies the risk of infection
8. The Health Foundation (THF) is an organization focused on prevention of Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C in Pakistan. The Health Foundation aims to create awareness and promote healthy practices for management of various diseases in the general public
9. THF also provides free treatment for non-affording poor and marginalized population
10. On 28th July 2016, in association with World Hepatitis day – The Health Foundation launched a national campaign titled ‘Barber Hygiene’. The campaign served as a Public Service Announcement which highlighted the increasing risks of shaving with unhygienic and unsafe shaving products used at barber shops and men’s salons.